Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Music I Don't Hate, Part 6


After having seen Pink Floyd's The Wall about a dozen times, it's really hard for me to watch any video footage of Bob Geldof without expecting giant cartoon hammers at some point.

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

This is the original mullet n' makeup fest, where the men wear more lipstick than the chick from Bananrama; Boy George looks really pretty; Nick Rhodes even prettier; Bono screams "WELL TONIGHT THANK GOD IT'S THEM INSTEAD OF YOUUUU" all soulfully, George Michael's skull barely containing his sincerity as the words burst out; there's that clever "sting" pun that Sting sings, people kissing Paula Yates (RIP); Simon LeBon making "having fun" sound like you just stepped on a tack; and the cute guy from Spandau Ballet warms the cockles of my heart. It's the sweetest whiny Brit/Mickfest ever, and 23 years later it still kicks every other Christmas song's ass. I've been rocking out to this damn song since I was 6 years old and am a proud owner of the vinyl single like a total geek. But then...I can't get enough Boomtown Rats. Love to Sir Bob!

No comments: