Wednesday, July 26, 2006

When You're Here, You're FAMILY!

Let me take a minute to tell you a true story. A story about love, loss, and a potty chair.

So, my grandmother (We'll call her Nana) is notorious for non-sequiturs, usually told late at night. On one particular evening, she turns on NBC and Brian Williams comes on the air. Distinguished, handsome Brian Williams with the baritone of gravitas and eyes so serious you could cry.

She watches him for a minute and says to my mom matter-of-factly,
"That's your cousin."
My mom looks at her in shock.
"What?" she says. "You mean that guy on TV? The news man?"
Nana looks at the TV again. "Yes. That's your cousin. Yeah, your aunt Lois brought him here when he was a baby. I gave him your old playpen and potty chair. You didn't need it anymore. He sat right in that corner and while I was talking to Lois, he used it. Don't you remember when they came?"

She pointed at the wall, as if the phantom of a potty-training Brian Williams had manifested itself in the corner of the kitchen.

So - DID Brian Williams really do this deed in Nana's kitchen one long-ago day? You know, it really doesn't matter, does it? Nana has forever ruined NBC Nightly News for me, believing Brian Williams used my mom's old potty chair. Personally, I can't decide which is a more-disturbing image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I had an aunt Lois, too--I was named after her. O_o